Be cautious: China warns Modi on launch of India’s longest bridge in Assam

Dhola-Sadiya Bridge

China asked India to exercise “restraint” over building infrastructure in Arunachal Pradesh

 

China asked India on Monday to be “cautious” and exercise “restraint” over building infrastructure in Arunachal Pradesh, days after Prime Narendra Modi launched the country’s longest bridge linking Assam with the state claimed by Beijing.

“We hope India adopts a cautious and restrained attitude on the issue before the final settlement of the border issue with China to jointly control disputes, safeguard peace and tranquillity in the border areas,” the Chinese foreign ministry said.

“China’s position on the eastern section of the Sino-Indian border areas is consistent and clear,” a statement in Chinese said.

 

Modi last week opened the country’s longest bridge over Brahmaputra river that connects Assam’s easternmost region with Arunachal Pradesh, claimed and dubbed by China as South Tibet.

“China and India should resolve territorial disputes through negotiations and consultations between the two countries,” the foreign ministry said.

China and India have a dragging border dispute.

Read this: India rides on consumer spending revival ahead of GST roll out

 

 

The 9.2km Dhola-Sadiya bridge will cut the distance and travel time between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh by 165km and five hours.

 

Analysts say the bridge will ensure swift movement of Indian troops in Arunachal Pradesh, which, therefore, will bolster India’s defence along the China border.

 

China and India fought a brief war in 1962 when the Chinese entered Arunachal Pradesh and unilaterally declared a ceasefire after withdrawing to the McMahon Line.(read more)

Advertisements

Maharashtra HSC board exam results declared

Maharashtra HSC board exam results to be declared today at 1

Log in to mahresult.nic.in to check your results

 

HSC RESULTS – Around 14 lakh students had taken the HSC Board exam in 2016 with 86.60% as total percentage of passing. This year more than 15.05 lakh students appeared for the exams that began on February 28, 2017 and ended on March 25, 2017.  The number of students include 8, 48,000 boys and 6, 56,000 girls. Nervousness and anxieties are getting intense as the result for Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) exam (Class 12) is to be declared on May 30, 2017 at 1 PM.

 

The results will be declared on the Maharashtra Board’s official website here mahresult.nic.in.

 

Follow the steps to check your results:

 

  • Visit and log in to the official website mahresult.nic.in.
  • Click on the link that says “Class XII Higher Secondary Certificate HSC results 2017”
  • Type your Hall Ticket No and other details
  • Click on the button “View Result”
  • Download the Results and take a printout for future reference

 

READ THIS: iPhone 8 to feature new display format with OLED design: Report

 

 

You can also view results on results.nic.in, examresults.net considering the rising anxiety of the students, an NGO named Connecting NGO helps those students who score not up to their expectation, therefore falling victim to depression and stress. One can contact the NGO at 1800 209 4353 for student counseling.(READ MORE)

Strike today: Chemists down shutters across India, protest e-platform plan

People walk past a chemist shop at a market in Mumbai

Their angst: uploading details of drugs traded on the portal and fee for keeping it running

 

Over 800,000 chemists across the country have decided to shut shop on Tuesday to protest against the government’s e-platform plan to regulate the sale of drugs.

 

The platform is being set up to ensure supply of quality drugs and curb anti-microbial resistance, but chemists are opposing the move. Under the plan chemists will have to upload details of all medicines purchased and sold on the e-platform and will have to pay a transaction fee to support cost of running the system.

 

All India Organisation of Chemists and Druggists (AIOCD) president Jagannath Shinde claimed that the strike has hundred per cent support from members across India and all stores except those in hospitals and day-and-night outlets will remain closed.

 

MedPlus, which runs 1,400 outlets in southern and eastern India, has said it will not participate in the strike and “will try and keep all stores open.”

 

There are other indications too the strike may not get full support. Around 600 chemist store owners in Tamil Nadu will wear black bands in protest but will keep their outlets open.

READ THIS: Xiaomi Redmi 4 goes on sale at 12 on Amazon: Here’s all you need to know

 

 

Maharashtra Food and Drugs Administration commissioner Harshdeep Kamble said he expects 4,000 stores out of a total of 45,000 in the state to remain open. “I am not saying there will be no problem but we are prepared to tackle it. Instructions are being issued to 24-hour chemists to keep them open. Assistant commissioners in each district will be monitoring the situation,” he said.(READ MORE)

Xiaomi Redmi 4 goes on sale at 12 on Amazon: Here’s all you need to know

Xiaomi Redmi 4

The Redmi 4 is a capable smartphone with a perfect screen size and resolution. Watch hands-on review

 

 

Xiaomi’s latest budget offering, the Xiaomi Redmi 4, is going on sale at 12 noon on Tuesday, exclusively on Amazon India. In the first flash sale that took place on May 23, the smartphone had seen a huge interest from buyers and registered a record sales number of a whopping 250,000 units within the first eight minutes.

 

According to Amazon.in, the Xiaomi Redmi 4 had recorded more than 10 million hits per minute on the site, after having received some 2.3 million ‘notify me’ alerts from customers since the launch announcement on May 16.

Read this: Strike today: Chemists down shutters across India, protest e-platform plan

 

The dual-sim budget smartphone with VoLTE capabilities is the latest offering from Xiaomi and offers an all-round performance. The Xiaomi Redmi 4 smartphone is available in three storage and RAM options – 16GB/2GB, 32GB/3GB and 64GB/4GB — which makes it a perfect smartphone option for people moving from feature phones to smartphones or those preferring budget smartphones with ample storage and RAM.

 

The base model of the device, with 16 GB of storage and 2 GB of RAM, is priced at Rs 6,999.(read more)

Jio effect: Tata Tele’s net worth erodes by Rs 11,650 cr

Tata Teleservices, telecom sector, Tata

Apart from Jio price war, rising losses, increase in interest payments are other reasons

 

RELIANCE JIO – The woes of Tata Teleservices continue to mount with its net worth eroding by Rs 11,653 crore at the end of the financial year ended March 2017, on rising losses and interest payments.

 

The company announced a loss of Rs 4,617 crore for FY17, compared to a loss of Rs 2,023 crore in FY16. This is a bad news for its promoter, Tata Sons, which will have to keep investing in the company’s equity so that it can meet its liabilities, bankers said. But, the company’s debt stood reduced almost five per cent from Rs 30,192 crore in FY16 to Rs 28,766 crore in FY17.

 

Because of the price war in telecom spurred by the entry of Reliance Jio, the Tata group company’s turnover declined to Rs 9,419 crore in FY17 from Rs 10,588 crore in FY16.

 

The Tata group company is not the only one which struggled during the year. Aditya Birla Group’s Idea Cellular also reported losses of Rs 400 crore, compared to a profit of Rs 2,728 crore in FY16. Sales and profits of the top two players, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, also declined during the year.

READ THIS: Sachin: A Billion Dreams: A glorified account of an over-glorified celeb

 

 

Bankers said they were not worried about Tata Teleservices’ debt service coverage ratio of 0.18 as Tata Sons always stepped in with funds to pay bank loans. The Ebitda (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) fell to Rs 1,341 crore in FY17 from Rs 1,700 crore in FY16.(READ MORE)

Smartron srt.phone: A fine deal if you are a die-hard Sachin Tendulkar fan

Sachin Tendulkar, Sartron, SRT, srt.phone

Powerful innards of Smartron’s ‘all-rounder’ smartphone are failed by its many software glitches

 

Domestic information technology (IT) start-up Smartron, which counts Indian cricket legend Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar and former Motorola Mobility Chief Executive Sanjay Jha among its investors, recently launched the srt.phone smartphone, “inspired by the dependable traits of Tendulkar”.

 

At the launch of srt.phone, the company claimed that the smartphone used the best antennas and other security features that made it an all-rounder. Indeed, Smartron has pleased investors with its manoeuvres to deliver solutions ranging from internet of things (IoT) to smartphones built specifically for Indian consumers. But how does the srt.phone fare against the claims of dependability and the inspiration it apparently draws from one of the tallest role models for India in recent times?

 

The srt.phone offers a no-frills design, with rounded edges and curved sides. The smartphone might look appealing, but its polycarbonate built with metallic finish seems to somewhat spoil the experience. The plastic built is not loose or creaky – it fits perfectly on all sides and the matte touch adds to the aesthetics – but the pseudo metallic look was not necessary; it is way too prominent even at the first glance.

Read this: Jio effect: Tata Tele’s net worth erodes by Rs 11,650 cr

 

The front of the srt.phone is dominated by a 5.5-inch full-HD display protected with Gorilla Glass 3. There are three capacitive keys below the display, but these are without any sign or icon, just three flat dots. These dots acts are the home button and navigation keys. The earpiece along with sensors are placed neatly on the top, next to the front camera.(read more)

You can show facts, but can’t call Tharoor names: Delhi HC to Arnab Goswami

Arnab Goswami

The Lok Sabha MP has claimed damages and compensation of Rs 2 crore from the journalist

 

The Delhi High Court on Monday sought the response of the Arnab Goswami and his newly-launched news channel Republic TV on Congress MP Shashi Tharoor’s defamation plea against them.

 

In his plea, Tharoor has claimed damages and compensation of Rs 2 crore from the journalist and his channel for allegedly making defamatory remarks against him while airing news relating to the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.

 

 

 

“Bring down the rhetoric. You can put out your story, you can put out the facts. You cannot call him names. That is uncalled for,” Justice Manmohan said while issuing notice to Goswami and the channel and seeking their replies by August 16, the next date of hearing.

 

Senior advocate Salman Khurshid, appearing for Tharoor, said he should be protected and the channel and the journalist directed to justify the statements made against him.

Read this: Those behind calf slaughter have no place in party: Cong

 

 

Senior advocate Sandeep Sethi, appearing for Goswami and the channel, said they would justify each and every statement made by them and therefore, there was no need for any interim order injuncting them.

 

Tharoor had on May 26 filed a civil defamation suit against Arnab Goswami and Republic TV in the Delhi High Court claiming damages and compensation of Rs 2 crore for allegedly making defamatory remarks against him while airing news relating to the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar.(read more)

It’s ‘snowing’ in Bengaluru.but not the kind you are thinking

Image result for It's 'snowing' in Bengaluru.but not the kind you are thinking

BENGALURU   –    Yes, you read that right. After the pre-monsoon showers that relieved the IT city, Bengalureans are now facing trouble due to a one-of-its-own-kind of snowfall.

 

It’s not the usual snowfall which delights people and cools the environment, but the toxic and chemical kinds which has created chaos on the city’s Whitefield Main Road.

 

The showers in the city have led to foaming of the Varthur lake once again, this time bringing the foam right on to the roads, troubling people in commuting.

 

Commuters faced trouble while managing traffic on Saturday and Sunday as the foamy goop billowed on the road from the lake.

 

Adding to the woes is the unbearable stink coming from the froth.

READ THIS: Sachin: A Billion Dreams: A glorified account of an over-glorified celeb

 

 

The pictures and videos of the pathetic state have been posted by the locals on social media, with many criticising the civic bodies for the utter disorder.

 

However, this is not the first time that this has happened. It is a recurrent problem which is only increasing with every passing day.

 

Last year in April, the same had happened with the froth spouting from the Varthur Lake onto the roads, causing a traffic jam.

 

The Bellandur Lake in the city made headlines recently, for catching fire on May 7.

 

As an aftermath, thick smog surrounded the heavily-polluted lake, making it difficult for the passers-by to breathe.(read more)

When Donald Trump pushed aside Montenegro PM, reminded us of Narendra Modi

donald trump, trump on middle class, trump tax cut

Trump’s NATO summit move is reminiscent of Modi pulling aside Facebook CEO in 2015 to get the camera

 

US President Donald Trump does not like to stand at the back of a line, and he definitely will not have someone else steal his thunder at a photo session. According to the New York Times, video footage of world leaders getting ready for a group photo during a NATO summit in Brussels on Thursday shows Trump push aside Montenegrin Prime Minister Dusko Markovic to make his way to the front.

 

A lot has been made of the similarities anddissimilarities between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Trump. However, this particular episode reminded many in India of an incident from September 2015, social media had gone abuzz with a video footage of PM Modi pulling Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg aside because the latter was blocking the frame.

 

CNBC staffer Steve Kopack tweeted out footage showing the Trump incident.

 

On the issue, the Associated Press quoted Montenegro newspaper Vijesti saying: “It seems Donald Trump did not want that anyone overshadows his presence at the summit.” The global news agency added that other Balkan websites ran headlines such as “America First” and “Where do you think you are going?”

Read this: Grace marks likely: CBSE to announce Class 12 results soon

 

 

According to the AP report, Markovic “shrugged off the slight”. Speaking to reporters, the head of state said, “It didn’t really register. I just saw reactions about it on social networks. It is simply a harmless situation.”

 

“It is natural that the president of the United States is in the front row,” Markovic added, according to AP.(read more)

Salman Khan not worried about Baahubali 2 box office record

Bollywood actors Salman Khan and Sohail Khan during the trailer launch of film Tubelight. Photo: PTI

Baahubali: The Conclusion has so far collected over Rs 1,500 crore across the world

 

 

SS Rajamouli’s “Baahubali: The Conclusion” may be setting the box office on fire but superstar Salman Khan said he doesn’t get worried about the business of a film as he thinks every movie has its own destiny.

 

“Baahubali: The Beginning” released on July 10, 2015, a week before Salman’s “Bajrangi Bhaijaan”.

 

“Baahubali: The Conclusion”, which hit theatres on April 28, has so far collected over Rs 1,500 crore across the world.

 

“After ‘Baahubali: The Beginning’, we came up with “Bajrangi Bhaijaan”. Now after ‘Baahubali: The Conclusion’, we are coming up with ‘Tubelight‘. There is a lot of pressure on the CEO of Salman Khan Films. I don’t get worried so much. It is a phenomenal success and it is amazing.

 

“I have not seen the film but I will watch it. But it doesn’t matter (box office records) as I think every film has its own destiny. Lets see what the destiny of ‘Tubelight’ is and how much it earns,” Salman told reporters here at the trailer launch of “Tubelight”.

 

The “Dabangg” star on a lighter note further said, “They (referring to Rajamouli doing one film in four years) do one film in four years, I do two films in a year and the average is that much.”

 

Salman’s brother, actor Sohail Khan, who also stars in “Tubelight”, said it’s good if a movie sets a record at the box office.(read more)